Friday, January 3, 2014

Simple DIY Paper and Button Letter for Girl's Room


This is one of the things I made while redoing my daughter's room. I was/am on a script budget so I've had to come up with new innovative ways to fill her space with cute things. 
What you'll need:
Something to make the letter with - You can buy wooden letters and redo them or you can go the super cheap route like I did and use cardboard. Yes, cardboard! 
Modge Podge or Homemade Decoupage Glue ((which is what I used)3 parts Elmer's Glue All + 1 part water)
Foam Brush (I used Dollar Store brand for this one)
Buttons
Patterned Paper (which you can also print yourself for free)
Washi Tape (optional)
Super Glue or Hot Glue

First, I measured out two longer pieces for the sides and two short pieces for the middle then I simply duct taped them together (on the back). For rounder letters  (like B or C) it may get a little bit trickier but there are plenty of free templates online you can print out then you just cut them and trace it onto cardboard. I recommend an exacto knife for cutting the cardboard. 
Coat each area with your glue and then coat the back of the paper and apply. Repeat until board is covered. While doing mine I had some unlevel areas where the cardboard pieces meet, in these spots I strategically placed buttons to hide it. 
After all of your paper is applied add a coat of glue on top. 
At this point I used washi tape along the edges. Line it up even and then fold over the sides and around to the back (this way you have no evidence that it is actually cardboard). If you do not have washi tape you can simply do this with your paper strips following the earlier steps. 
Then attached your buttons with super glue or a hot glue gun on the low setting. 
At the end I attached a bow that I had recently found a thrift store as a little extra flare. 

Super easy and it can be done with items you likely already have. My daughter LOVES it!



No comments:

Post a Comment