Thursday, June 5, 2014

Cute Birthday Cake w/ candy rainbow topper

This is the birthday cake we made for my youngest daughter's first birthday.  I wanted something simple that I felt capable of doing myself. I work at a bakery so I figured I had seen enough to do something on my own. I wasn't exactly right. ;)



I used 8 inch cake pans but you could really do any size. I think it would look cuter if it were three layer rather than two.

The icing is a buttercream frosting that I made myself. Follow this link to view the recipe http://savorysweetlife.com/2010/03/buttercream-frosting/ .

It was delicious!

I added a couple of drops of blue food coloring to make it a light sky blue. Remember the more food coloring you add the more bitter it tastes. When you ice the cake try to get it as smooth as you can on top.
Add tons of sprinkles just on the sides (if you put icing on the plate under the cake it will cause the cake to stick to the plate so then you can tilt it sideways to add the sprinkles much easier).

For the rainbow you'll need a candy fruit strip. I took a piece of wire and threaded it through the middle color line of the rainbow and then bent it to get the rainbow shape. Leave enough extra wire to insert in the cake.

Pipe the clouds with a bag and round tip or just use a whip cream can!




No comments:

Post a Comment